Clear goals for greater sustainability
We have set ourselves a clear goal for each field of action in our sustainability strategy. To achieve these goals, we regularly measure our progress and communicate it in our annual progress report.
- Environment: We will be 2030 CO2-free (net zero) by 2030 – by acting in a resource-saving manner in all areas of our business (scope 1–2 and selected scope 3 categories)1.
- Markets: We will help our customers/users reduce their CO2 emissions by 10% by 2030 (base year: 2015).
- Employees: We want to further improve the general conditions for employee engagement and so maintain our engagement score at the very high level of 80 in the period through to 2030.2
- Partners: By the end of 2021, we want to calculate the CO2 emissions of our supply chain and set an ambitious goal for CO2-free upstream products.
- Society: We will create opportunities for our employees to invest at least 5,000 hours a year in promoting climate protection in society.
1 Scopes 1-3 cover various kinds of climate-damaging emissions (GHG emissions): direct GHG emissions, indirect energy-related GHG emissions and further indirect GHG emissions.
2 The engagement score is determined as part of the ista-wide staff survey. On a scale from 0 to 100, it measures how strong the employees' work engagement is.
Strong structures for implementation
Sustainability is an integral part of our corporate strategy. This is evident in our structures. Sustainability activities are the direct responsibility of the top management. The Sustainability Delegates coordinate our international activities, they bring ideas from their countries to the table. So we ensure that our sustainability engagement has a holistic, forward-looking focus. We use smart and innovative tools, including our corporate sustainability software, to ensure we keep improving our sustainability performance.
Clear principles that guide our actions
To shape change effectively, we are guided by internationally recognised external standards.
Values and Guiding Principles of the ista Identity
We link our financing to progress on sustainability – for added value that contributes to climate goals
In addition to the internationally recognised standards, we have defined internal values and guiding principles for our actions. Five elements form the foundation: our Purpose, our Mission, our Vision, our Leadership Principles and our Shared Values. It is on this foundation that we build our ista identity.
ista has made a clear commitment to sustainability. We lead the way in energy management and environmental protection - which is why we also link our financing to progress in this area. In 2020, we concluded a new ESG-linked (Environmental, Social and Governance) syndicated loan for up to 1.85 billion euros. With this kind of loan, the variable interest rates are also linked to the fulfilment of sustainability targets. In our case, they are based on the goals of our sustainability strategy. If we achieve them, we can reduce the interest rates; on the other hand, the interest rates will rise if we miss the targets. The key sustainability figures are audited by SGS-TÜV Saar GmbH. The term of the loan is five years, including a one to two-year extension option.